Welcome to the James Alva Hendricks Family Blog

Throughout my life I have always been proud to be a Hendricks and to know so many of you. I have tried to live up to those who have gone before us, sacrificing so much so we could live where we live and have the things we have. We are all blessed with such a rich family history, preceded by so many people. This blog is a place where we can collect and share favorite family pictures, stories and memories of who we are. Please feel free to visit as often as possible and if there are things you want to add or correct, please contact any of the contributors listed on the right side panel. Desmond Tutu once said, "You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. Let us take the time and remember ours together. Mike



Friday, November 25, 2011

A Brief History of Grandfather Hendricks - written by Juel Josiah Hendricks

Grandfather James Hendricks joined the L.D.S. in Missouri
and moved to Salt Lake in July 24, 1847.  His father Abraham
Hendricks; and his father James Hendricks, had a large family.
13 of his sons fought in the Revolutionary War.  Abraham was
too young to go.  They lived in Kentucky and James, my
grandfather married there.
 
(James and Drucilla Hendricks)
They then moved to Missouri and joined the L.D. S.
church.  While helping to guard the poor Mormons,
he was shot in the back of the neck and lived to come
to Salt Lake City in 1847.  He was helpless 33 years but
could help grandma manage things.  I can remember him
when I was down in Richmond, Utah.  He ran the first
bath house or hotel in Salt Lake City.  They moved to
Richmond, Cache County, Utah in 1860 or 1862.  Then
he had a home on the same block as my father and
Uncle Will Hendricks.  Then he died.

(My father Joseph Smith Hendricks)
My Father was an Indian War Veteran and
farmed and freighted in Montana's early mining town
till  I was 10 years old.  He moved to Swan Lake and
was Bishop's counselor for years, and then high counselor
to the Stake.  Then he ranched and made railroads and
drove the first spike on the O.S.L. from Marsh Valley,
Idaho to Montana in Deer Lodge Valley and had the
last job at Butte City, Montana in 1881, and I helped
drive a team when I was 16 years old.  Then in weather
40 to 60 degrees below zero in 1891, we all moved to
Marysville, Idaho and my father was again counselor to
the bishop for years.  He farmed and helped build canals
and ran sawmills.  Then along about 1910 or 1912 he
moved back to Lewiston, Utah after Aunt Rye died
he lived with brother Joe.  While there he went to visit
Hamlet Winger, your cousin, at Fremont and died there.
He was buried in Richmond, Utah.

(Juel Josiah Hendricks)
Juel J. Hendricks wass born in Richmond, Utah; and
I lived there with parents until I was 17 years old.  I then
moved back to Lewiston with mother Lucinda Hendricks

(Lucinda Bess Hendricks - mother of Juel Josiah)
and worked on 80 acres of farm and went to school
some; then married Mary Ellen Kay of Swan Lake, Idaho.
(Mary Ellen Kay and Juel Josiah)
photo provided by Judy Borup
We lived in Lewiston one year and then moved to
Swan Lake and worked on the railroad again for awhile. 
I worked formy father one year, then moved to Rexburg,
Idaho where I worked as a farm hand until winter.  I then
took half interest in a harness shop for one year and got so
I could make a good set; was getting along fine and sold out. 
Went to Jackson Hole to pitch hay and help take the first
wagon over the divide on the Teton Range. 
On coming back, I worked in Pocatello painting up the
first fast mail train.  Then I moved to Lewiston, Utah,
and ran pay-grading on west side of Cache Valley, then
went back to Marysville, Idaho and took a home-stead
and worked timber and canals and hauled water in barrels
for five years.  I filled two home missons and one to
North Western States.  I was Post Office Master for
three years and your mother two years.  I made canals
and farmed, freighted some and went to Twin Falls west
side and then to LaGrande, Oregon 8 years and hauled
lumber.  I was then superintendent of streets 3 1/2 years
and then moved to Rigby, Idaho;  there I helped to build
a sugar factory.  Then I moved to Weiser 4 years and there
I lost my dear wife.  I then moved to Rupert, Idaho and then
to Pocatello, Idaho where I am at present.  I helped build
Frazier Hall, and Ross Park, planted trees and worked on
the high school building.

                                         Your father,
                                         J. J. Hendricks

(Juel Josiah Hendricks Family)
(back row:  Juel William, Mary Lucinda, Loal Kay  
front row: Juel Josiah, Alma Kay, Ada Velate, Myrtle Ivy,
Mary Ellen Kay ...Photo taken just a few years before
James Alva was born.  -also not pictured are 2 daughters
Martha Luella & Laura Bess who died in 1900.
   
*This (history) copy was typed by Mary Glenn Roberts,
daughter of James A. Hendricks; son of Juel J. Hendricks. 
I typed this from an older typed copy my father found among
some genealogy papers.  We are not sure who typed this but
I assume it was done from an original hand written copy, or
dictated by Juel J. Hendricks.  I have made some changes
in the punctuation and minor work changes.  I hope I have
not misconstrued any of the story.  August 31, 1978

**family photos later added to this history for the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment